How Many SaaS Apps Are There?
Software as a Service, or SaaS, is a type of cloud computing model that allows users to access and use applications hosted on the internet. It is rapidly becoming the most popular way for companies to provide software solutions to their customers, and the number of SaaS apps available is growing every day. So, just how many SaaS apps are out there?
The answer to this question depends on how you define a SaaS app. Some experts suggest that the total number of SaaS apps may be as high as 8,000, while others put the figure closer to 5,000. The truth is, it’s impossible to know for sure.
In this article, we’ll explore why it’s so difficult to determine the exact number of SaaS apps, what types of SaaS apps are out there, and how the number of SaaS apps is growing.
Why Is It Difficult to Know How Many SaaS Apps Are Out There?
The problem with determining the exact number of SaaS apps is that there’s no single source of reliable data on the topic. A lot of the data available is self-reported by the companies themselves, which means it’s not necessarily accurate. Additionally, the definition of a SaaS app can vary from company to company.
For example, a company might consider an online document storage service to be a SaaS app, while another might classify it as a web-based application. This makes it hard to get an accurate count of the number of SaaS apps available.
Types of SaaS Apps
SaaS apps come in a variety of different forms, and can be used for a wide range of tasks. Some of the most common types of SaaS apps are:
- Email and Collaboration: These apps allow multiple users to share and access emails, documents, and other files. Popular examples include Google Apps, Microsoft Office 365, and Zoho.
- Project Management: These apps help teams manage and track their projects. Popular examples include Asana, Basecamp, and Trello.
- Customer Relationship Management: These apps allow businesses to keep track of customer data and interactions. Popular examples include Salesforce and Zendesk.
- Content Management: These apps allow businesses to create and manage content for their websites. Popular examples include WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla.
- Data Analysis and Business Intelligence: These apps allow businesses to analyze their data and track performance. Popular examples include Tableau, Power BI, and Looker.
- Backup and Storage: These apps allow businesses to store and back up their data. Popular examples include Dropbox, Google Drive, and Microsoft OneDrive.
- Security: These apps help businesses protect their data from malicious actors. Popular examples include McAfee, Symantec, and Trend Micro.
How Is the Number of SaaS Apps Growing?
The number of SaaS apps is growing rapidly. According to Gartner, the number of SaaS apps available has grown by more than 60% over the past five years. This growth is being driven by the increasing demand for cloud-based solutions, as well as the fact that SaaS apps are often more affordable than traditional software solutions.
Furthermore, the emergence of new technologies such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, and the Internet of Things is creating a whole new set of opportunities for SaaS apps. As a result, the number of SaaS apps is expected to continue to grow in the coming years.
It’s impossible to know exactly how many SaaS apps are out there, but experts estimate that the number could be as high as 8,000. There are a variety of different types of SaaS apps available, and the number is growing rapidly due to the increasing demand for cloud-based solutions and the emergence of new technologies.
Whether you’re looking for a way to manage your team’s projects, store your data securely, or analyze your customer’s behavior, chances are there’s a SaaS app available to help. With so many options available, the only thing left to do is start exploring!